No matter when you travel to Walt Disney World, you are likely to encounter some attractions that are closed for refurbishment. Since WDW is open every day of the year, there is no getting around the need to repair and refurbish attractions while guests are there.
It’s important to check the refurb schedule in the months before you go since they can impact your touring plans (sometimes greatly if a big name ride is down!).
For example, Splash Mountain is always down in January.
History of Splash Refurbishments:
- Jan 05, 2015 to Jan 31, 2015
- Jan 06, 2014 to Mar 21, 2014
- Jan 02, 2013 to Mar 19, 2013
- Jan 03, 2011 to Jan 31, 2011
- Jan 03, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010
- Jan 04, 2009 to Jan 17, 2009
So, when I was making some initial preliminary touring plans, I didn’t include Splash Mountain. However, the most recent refurb schedule says:
Splash Mountain 01/06/2016 to 01/10/2016
WOOHOO!!!! This means there is a chance we can ride splash. It’s only a chance since they could very well lengthen these dates- it’s still pretty early. But, even if they tack on a couple weeks, we could ride it.
Currently, the only refurbishment for our dates that will effect us (there are others at water parks, resorts, etc…that won’t effect our trip; example Typhoon Lagoon will be closed) is the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin will be down for the duration of our trip. If I get Splash in exchange, this will not upset me. We were able to ride Buzz last year.
Places to check the refurb schedule:
- All Ears Net: http://allears.net/pl/refurbishments-and-closings.htm
- WDW Prep (choose the dashboard for your month): http://wdwprepschool.com/january-at-disney-world/
- Touring Plans: http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/closures
If you have a particular ride you are concerned about having an annual closure (like Splash does) try typing the name of the ride and “refurbishment history” or “past refurbishment dates”. Some sites keep an archival list of closures, such as WDW Magic: http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/splash-mountain/refurbishments.htm.