I’ve been looking forward to this morning for weeks. The Sims announced the next expansion pack at Gamescom in Germany at 4am (my time).
I’ve loved all the content the Sims 4 team has created thus far. Sure, I’m missing particular features (I was in The Sims 3 as well), but they’ve made an effort to put out a lot of wonderful content since the release. I was looking forward to hearing whatever new idea they had next.
This morning they announced “The Sims: Get Together”.
My initial thoughts upon seeing this title…togetherness…thank goodness, it must be a family-related pack…and I was very excited. But that’s not what it is…
Actually, I’m not really sure what the defining feature of this expansion is…it seems like a mishmash of several ideas centered around a theme of…socialization? maybe?
I feel like I don’t have enough information to be excited yet. It’s all very vague. I’m hoping that as more information gets released, it’ll seem like more of a cohesive pack.
The key features include:
- Exploring a New World- Okay, the world is pretty, and seems interesting…but we got a new world in Outdoor Retreat. We get new worlds all the time in Sims games. This isn’t anything new.
- Meet New Sims/Make New Friends- We already do this in the game? How are these mechanics different? There is mention of “clubs”- cliques of friends with similar interests. I think that could be the defining feature, but available information is very vague at the moment.
- Rule the Dance Floor- DJing and Dancing skills….Yay for new skills, but I can’t say I find these hugely interesting. It’s party-style dancing, not like Ballet or something. So…meh. Not useful for my nerdy Sims.
- Party Anywhere- Also a vague point…are we getting new kinds of parties? more party interactions?
- Closets- You can now try on clothes in a closet…okay, that could be the main feature of a STUFF pack. That’s essentially just a fancy object.
And that’s it…the key may be in the details. There are cafes with baristas, for instance. And synchronized dancing. And possibly swimming in a lake. There will need to be a lot of these details to make up for the lack of a core feature, though.
Hopefully new information continues to trickle out. I *want* to be excited, but you haven’t given me enough information, EA.
Next week, however, the Kitchen Stuff pack comes out…new kitchen appliances and ICE CREAM…now THAT is exciting (when you do a cost benefit analysis).
Also, free dishwashers this week. Also exciting.